Helsinki Region Transport (HSL) is a joint local authority whose member municipalities are Helsinki, Espoo, Vantaa, Kauniainen, Kerava, Kirkkonummi, Sipoo, Siuntio and Tuusula. HSL began its operations in 2010.
Some 370 million journeys are made on HSL's transport services annually. HSL’s annual operating income is over €640 million, of which ticket revenue accounts for about €330 million (about 46% in 2016). HSL has 373 employees.
- Plans and organizes public transport in the region and improves its operating conditions
- Procures bus, tram, Metro, ferry and commuter train services
- Is responsible for the preparation of the Helsinki Region Transport System Plan (HLJ)
- Approves the public transport fare and ticketing system as well as ticket prices
- Is responsible for public transport marketing and passenger information
- Organizes ticket sales and is responsible for ticket inspections