Helsinki Region Transport (HSL) is a joint local authority whose member municipalities are Helsinki, Espoo, Vantaa, Kauniainen, Kerava, Kirkkonummi and Sipoo. Tuusula and Siuntio will join HSL at the beginning of 2018. HSL began its operations in 2010.
Some 370 million journeys are made on HSL's transport services annually. HSL’s annual operating income is over €640 million, of which ticket revenue accounts for about €330 million (about 46% in 2016). HSL has 373 employees.
- Plans and organizes public transport in the region and improves its operating conditions
- Procures bus, tram, Metro, ferry and commuter train services
- Is responsible for the preparation of the Helsinki Region Transport System Plan (HLJ)
- Approves the public transport fare and ticketing system as well as ticket prices
- Is responsible for public transport marketing and passenger information
- Organizes ticket sales and is responsible for ticket inspections
Environmental responsibility is one of HSL's guiding values. We encourage people to use public transport and other sustainable modes of transport, improve their competitiveness and reduce transport emissions.
We promote environmental-friendly transport in line with the Helsinki Region Transport System Plan (HLJ). We strive to contribute to sustainable land use and development in the region.
Reducing emissions from traffic in the Helsinki region is one of the key targets in HSL's strategy. In order to reduce emissions from public transport, we are increasing the share of rail services and favor low-emissions vehicles.
Through our services, we make public transport, walking and cycling more attractive. For example, good and reliable transport links and reasonably priced tickets encourage people to use public transport.
National and international cooperation
HSL has cooperation with/is a member of the following organizations:
- EMTA (European Metropolitan Transport Authorities)
- UITP (The International Association of Public Transport)
- The Finnish Public Transport Association
- ITS Finland ry