HSL is introducing minor changes to the bus network in Herttoniemi to better meet passengers’ needs in the area. The aim is to create an efficient and reliable route network. The changes will be implemented in phases from autumn 2017. Most of the changes will take effect in autumn 2018.
Changes outlined in the Herttoniemi Route Network Plan
- Trunk bus route 500, Itäkeskus–Herttoniemi–Pasila–Meilahti–Munkkivuori, will replace bus 58. The bus will run between Herttoniemi and Itäkeskus via a bridge to be constructed on Suunnittelijankatu and via the Herttoniemi industrial area. The bus will also serve the new residential blocks planned to be built along Työnjohtajankatu.
- Trunk route 510, Herttoniemi–Pasila–Meilahti–Otaniemi–Tapiola, will replace bus 551.
- Trunk bus routes 500 and 510 will use the same route from Herttoniemi to Meilahti. Buses 58 and 551 will be transformed into trunk bus routes 500 and 510 in phases. From autumn 2018, buses 58 and 551 will mainly operate along the trunk service routes but under the old route numbers and with the current, blue vehicles. Orange trunk bus routes will be introduced in 2019-2020, along with new route numbers.
- Bus 79 will in the future run via the Suunnittelijankatu bridge and Laivalahdenkatu along the same route as bus 500. The buses will together improve transport services to the Herttoniemi industrial area. The new route of bus 79 will also be faster than the current route via Sorvaajankatu. Bus 79 will be rerouted to run via Linnanrakentajantie already in autumn 2017. The bus will start running via Suunnittelijankatu once the new bridge is opened approximately in 2019.
- The terminus of bus 80 will be moved from the Roihupelto industrial area to Itäkeskus.
- Buses 80, 82 and 83 will start running more frequently from autumn 2018.. Buses 80 and 82 will provide frequent service from Herttoniemi via Roihuvuori to Itäkeskus.
- There are no changes to the routes of buses 79B, 81, 82 and 83.
- In autumn 2018, the termini of buses 50 and 59 will be moved from Herttoniemi to Sompasaari to serve the growing area of Kalasatama. The change enables new public transport links for residents of the expanding Kalasatama area. Kalasatama will become an important interchange between the Metro and buses 50 and 59 for passengers traveling to Teollisuuskatu and Pasila.
- There are no changes to night bus services in Herttoniemi.
Development of the plan
HSL collected information on travel habits and needs in the area with interviews and a map-based online survey. The interviews were conducted in Herttoniemi in December 2015. The online survey was open from 8 December 2015 to 10 January 2016. The survey gathered information about journeys starting or ending in Herttoniemi, Roihuvuori, Roihupelto or Tammisalo.
Customers could comment on the alternative route network plans for Herttoniemi. The online survey was open from 2 February to 19 February 2017. We received more than 700 responses. Alternative plans (available in Finnish only) are available on the Finnish language site.
After the period for comments, our planner carefully read all the feedback and prepared the final plan.
The Executive Board of HSL approved the Herttoniemi route network plan on 13 June 2017.