Companion Pass

Who is entitled to a Companion Pass?

If you have a chronic illness or disability and you are not able to travel by public transport without assistance, you may be entitled to have a companion to travel with you for free. You will need a Companion Pass available from a service point.

Your companion can travel for free when with you have a Companion Pass. However, you need to have a ticket, unless you are a wheelchair user: wheelchair users do not need a ticket on HSL public transport.

The pass is shown to the driver when boarding the bus. On other modes of transport, you must have the Companion Pass with you and show it to a ticket inspector or conductor if asked to.

You need the following documents to get a Companion Pass

In order to be able to get a Companion Pass, you must live permanently in the HSL area, i.e. in Helsinki, Espoo, Kauniainen, Vantaa, Kerava, Sipoo or Kirkkonummi.

You need a Companion Pass application form signed by a physician. For residents of Helsinki, Espoo, Kauniainen, Vantaa, Kerava and Sipoo, the application can be signed by a health center physician, medical specialist or a private practitioner. Residents of Kirkkonummi can get a certificate from a health center physician or a physician at HUS or Jorvi.

In addition, you need to have with you an ID and a passport photo, which will be attached to the Companion Pass.

If you are visually impaired with a disability degree of at least 50%, you get a Companion Pass from the service point without an application form.

The pass has to be renewed every five years. When renewing the pass, you do not need a new application form signed by a physician.

Application for a companion pass (pdf)

Application for a companion pass (Word)

Back to top