Pensioner discount and new zones from 27 April
There are changes to pensioner discounts with the introduction of the new zones. The former customer groups (recipients of national pension and recipients of guarantee pension) are merged and there is only one pensioner customer group. The discount is 50%. Customers do not need to update their HSL cards to get the new discount.
Who is eligible for pensioner discount?
Residents of HSL municipalities who receive a pension from Kela are, under certain conditions, entitled to discounted travel. The discount applies to season and value tickets as well as zone extension tickets purchased with a personal HSL card.
The discount entitlement is stored on your personal HSL card at a service point. Discount tickets are available to permanent residents of HSL municipalities, i.e. to residents of Helsinki, Espoo, Vantaa, Kauniainen, Kirkkonummi, Siuntio, Kerava, Sipoo or Tuusula.
Pensioner discount is available to
- Recipients of national or guarantee pension paid by Kela
- Recipients of a fixed-term disability pension, i.e. cash rebabilitation benefit paid by Kela
You need the following documents to get a pensioner’s HSL card:
- An official ID document (an official ID card, passport, driver’s license, Kela card with photograph)
- A national pension/guarantee pension/cash rehabilitation benefit certificate from Kela, issued not earlier than three months prior to the application. Please note that you need a certificate from Kela, the decision mailed by Kela is not enough.
- A Kela national pension card
Validity of discount entitlement
The discount entitlement is valid for a maximum of three years. If the right to a national pension or guarantee pension is for a fixed term, the customer group is valid until the date shown on the certificate from Kela.
You are responsible for ensuring you have the correct customer group on your HSL card. The customer group can be updated at a service point.