Open data in HSL
Helsinki Regional Transport Authority (HSL) offers open data both as interface services and data packages. Below we've listed all available data sets and APIs.
Journey Planner APIs
- Routing API, Itinerary- and timetable-queries via either a GraphQL-API or a REST-API
- Geocoding API, Pelias REST-interface
- Map API, HSL's background map as a TMS-service (Tile Map Service) and a number of public transport related points of interest (eg. ticket vending points, city bike stations & park and ride sites) as Mapbox vectortile-services.
- Realtime API, GTFS-RT & MQTT-feeds
Further information : digitransit.fi
The public transport network data is updated daily from HSL's public transport register to the journey planner APIs (see below). The OpenStreetMap data is also updated daily to the journey planner for routing graph, geocoding and background map purposes. Due to different cache-settings, the changes in the background map become visible to the users in about one week's time.
Public transport network & timetables (GTFS)
Data from HSL's public transport register is derived into GTFS-format every day. This data collection includes all routes that have a valid timetable. The collection includes data three months onwards from the moment the collection was generated. The last GTFS-package can be found here.
HSL OpenMaaS API
HSL OpenMaaS API offers a retail interface both for single and season tickets open to all interested transport operators. Further information : https://sales-api.hsl.fi/
HSL News API offers access to news and traffic bulletins published on hsl.fi in json-format. Information about cancelled services is available the Journey Planner APIs mentioned above. For example, routing API's disruption-info & realtime API's service-alerts.
Park & Ride API
HSL's Park & Ride information system API provides static and realtime information about Park & Ride in the Helsinki region. The data is maintained by municipalities and operators via a (Finnish) browser-based user interface p.hsl.fi. The data can be viewed by anybody via this website. The (English) API documentations can be found here.
Further information : email@example.com
The customer satisfaction data is updated with preliminary results about once a month during February-April and September-October. The final results are updated into the database three times a year whenever each survey period is completed (June, September and December). Further information regarding the surveys and data : firstname.lastname@example.org
The Ferry passenger numbers are constantly updated. Operators feed the figures into the system already during the same day. Further information regarding the reasearch and data : email@example.com
GIS data portal (available in Finnish only)
HSL's GIS data portal provides several public transport related data sets. The available formats are Excel spredsheet, Google KML, GeoJSON, ESRI shapefile & ArcGIS Rest API. The available data sets (translated into English in parantheses)...
- HSL:n pysäkit (stops)
- HSL:n pysäkit linjoittain (stops by routes)
- HSL:n linjat (routes)
- HSL:n risteykset (intersections)
- HSL:n terminaalit (terminals)
- HSL:n myyntipisteet (ticket sales points)
- HSL:n maksuvyöhykkeet (fare zones)
- HSL:n bussi- ja raitiovaunuliikenteen vuoromäärät (bus and tram service frequencies)
- HSL:n nousijamäärät (passenger boardings)
- HSL:n liityntäpysäköintialueet (Park & Ride sites)
- HSL:n autoliityntäpysäköinti (Park & Ride car facilities)
- HSL:n pyöräliityntäpysäköinti (Park & Ride cycle facilities)
- Helsingin ja Espoon kaupunkipyöräasemat (city bike stations of Helsinki and Espoo)
- Vantaan kaupunkipyöräasemat (city bike stations of Vantaa)
- Helsingin seudun pyörälaskennat (bicycle counts)
- Reittioppaan kohdetietokanta (Old Journey Planner POI dataset)
The data in the GIS data portal is always a cross-section from a certain moment. The data has been gathered specially for consultant and research needs and it is ment to present HSL's services, e.g. the route network, in an optimal situation when there are as few diversion routes as possible. Consequently, the data is generated when best suited from the public transport network point of view, roughly once a year. More regularly updated data sets can be found via the Journey Planner & Park & Ride APIs. Further information regarding these GIS data sets : firstname.lastname@example.org
All these data sets and APIs (except for the Journey Planner data listed below) are licensed under the Creative Commons BY 4.0 International -license (from 1.9.2015). When using the data, please use attribution where you mention the licensee and the moment when the data has been delivered or collected (eg. © Helsinki Region Transport 2016).
NB! The Journey Planner's data geometry and address data that originates from OpenStreetMap are licensed under the ODbL-license. This concerns in practice parts of the routing, geocoding and map API data.
The metadata can be found under the HRI, paikkatietohakemisto & avoindata.fi services (limited use of English). More information and examples of use regarding HSL's open data can be found at the HSL Developer Community website (dev.hsl.fi/), where you can also find different channels for your questions and feedback.