New bus routes to be introduced in Tapiola and Leppävaara with the launch of light rail line 550
New bus routes will be introduced in Tapiola and Leppävaara when light rail line 550 starts operating between Itäkeskus and Keilaniemi approximately in 2024. We planned the new routes in close interaction with customers.
New bus routes will be introduced in Tapiola and Leppävaara when light rail line 550 starts operating between Itäkeskus and Keilaniemi approximately in 2024.
The most important change is the introduction of a new bus route 523, which will run from Westendinasema via Tapiola to Leppävaara. Trunk bus route 550 will be withdrawn when the light rail line starts. The new bus route will provide frequent service between Tapiola and Leppävaara.
At peak times, bus 523 will run every 10 minutes. At other times, the bus will run every 15 minutes.
The following bus routes will also serve passengers in Tapiola and Leppävaara in the future:
Trunk bus route
• 520, Matinkylä–Suurpelto–Leppävaara–Myyrmäki–Martinlaakso
Frequently running routes, with maximum 15-minute headways at peak times
• 52, Kuninkaantammi – Kannelmäki – Huopalahti station – Munkkivuori – Otaniemi (M) – Maari
• 105, Lauttasaari (M) – Westend – Haukilahti – Niittykumpu – Mankkaa
• 111, Matinkylä (M) – Haukilahti – Westend – Tapiola (M) – Otaniemi (M)
• 113, Tapiola (M) – Laajalahti – Friisinmäki – Leppävaara
• 114, Matinkylä (M) – Urheilupuisto (M) – Mankkaa – Kilo – Leppävaara
• 118, Tapiola (M) – Kuuriinniitty – Suurpelto – Espoon keskus
In addition, the following basic routes will run every 20–30 minutes at peak times
• 202, Vermonniitty – Leppävaara – Helmipöllönmäki
• 203, Leppävaara – Uusmäki
• 206, Leppävaara – Kera
• 206K, Leppävaara – Kilo – Kera
• 212, Kamppi – Meilahti – Perkkaa – Laajalahti – Kauniainen
• 213N, Kamppi – Meilahti – Perkkaa – Laajalahti – Suvela – Espoon keskus
Bus routes 104, 112 ,115 and 225K will be withdrawn and replaced by other routes.
The changes will improve transport links between Etelä-Leppävaara and Frisinmäki, as well as transport links from Espoon keskus and Haukilahti to Tapiola Sports Park.
A new welcome bus service from Mankkaa to Matinkylä will be established and feeder services from Westend and Haukilahti to Lauttasaari and Niittykumpu will improve.
“Our aim is to provide as good bus route network as possible that would also implement our strategic goals of efficient and cost-effective transport services,” says acting Director of Department Johanna Wallin.
“We have tried to make feeder services to Tapiola and Leppävaara more efficient. The financial starting point for the planning was that the cost of bus services does not increase from the current level.”
Read more about the coming changes
Customers participated actively in the planning
We planned the new routes in close interaction with customers.
Prior to commencing the planning, we conducted a survey to gather information about the travel habits and needs of people living and travelling in Tapiola and Leppävaara.
A blog about the plan was a key channel of interaction. On the blog public transport planners provided information about the progress of planning and customers commented on the plan. We also held two resident workshops.
“We revised the draft plan on the basis of feedback we received, after which we again circulated the plan for comments,” says public transport planner Mari Linna. “We thank all those who participated in the planning process for their active involvement and constructive approach.”