Contactless payment pilot launches
We have launched a contactless payment pilot in Suomenlinna and at the West Terminal. You can buy tickets using a contactless debit or credit card for the Suomenlinna ferry or for tram routes 7 and 9 at the West Terminal tram stop. During the pilot, the ticket does not allow transfers, i.e. you cannot change to other modes of transport.
Contactless payment is a fast, easy and safe way to pay for travel on public transport. All you need to do is show your payment card to the reader and hop aboard.
Tips for contactless payment
During the pilot, you can buy tickets using a contactless debit or credit card on the Suomenlinna ferry pier and for tram routes 7 and 9 at the West Terminal tram stop.
Show your debit or credit card to the yellow card reader before boarding the ferry or tram. When a green light appears, you can board the ferry or tram. No PIN code is required and no ticket will be printed.
During the pilot, you can buy normal priced AB tickets for adults, only for one person at a time.
You can pay using a contactless-enabled Visa or Mastercard card. Your card is contactless-enabled if it has the contactless symbol.
Your card must be valid and it must have enough credit to cover the payment.
You can also make contactless payments using your mobile phone. Several Finnish banks offer apps that allow you to turn your mobile phone into a credit card. In HSL’s pilot, you can pay with ApplePay and GooglePay.
If you buy multiple tickets in one day, they will all be charged as a single transaction at the end of the travel day. Please remember to use the same payment card.
Amex and Diners Club cards are not accepted.
The ticket is valid for 80 minutes. The ticket allows you to make several journeys on the Suomenlinnan ferry. During the pilot, the ticket does not allow you to transfer to other modes of transport.
Tickets purchased at the West Terminal tram stop are valid for 80 minutes. THe tickets are only valid on tram routes 7 and 9, you cannot change to other modes of transport.
The reader will show the validity time of your ticket when you show your debit or credit card to the reader at the start of your first journey. When you show your card to a reader again at the start of a new journey, the reader will not show the original validity time.
You can check the expiry time of the ticket on the customer portal.
Show your debit or credit card to the ticket inspector’s phone. The ticket inspector will not handle your card. Your card details are processed in a secure manner.
The card reader will notify you if your card cannot be used to pay the fare.
This may be due to several reasons.
- If you have more than one contactless payment card in your wallet and you place your wallet close to the reader, the reader cannot scan the card. Only show one card at a time to the reader.
- You removed your card from the reader too soon. Tap your card on the reader again.
- If you are using a new card for the first time for contactless payment on public transport, the card may not work because your bank may require your card first to be activated at a chip and PIN payment terminal. This cannot be done at HSL’s card readers.
- Your card may be blocked from use on public transport if we were previously unable to charge your card. You can reactivate your card by paying the outstanding balance to HSL.
- The error message may also be due to that there is no credit on your card or you have reached the daily spending limit on your card. You can change the spending limits in your online bank.
The reader will not print out a receipt for the ticket purchased.
- If you need a receipt, you can log in to the contactless payment portal via HSL.fi. Enter the requested information to get a receipt and details for your tickets.
- If you have any questions about tickets bought using contactless, contact HSL customer service.
- If you paid your fare with a mobile wallet, contact HSL customer service for a receipt.