Tram diversions in Kallio, Alppiharju and Töölö from 17 May 2021
Roadwork on Helsinginkatu will significantly affect tram services from Monday 17 May. The improvement of Helsinginkatu, Caloniuksenkatu and Runeberginkatu will affect tram services in Kallio and Töölö. The project started on 11 January 2021 and will continue until spring 2023.
Once the works are completed, walking and cycling in the area will be safer and more comfortable. The project involves the replacement of old water mains, some older than 100 years, and other public utility infrastructure under the streets. It is reasonable to conduct the works in three areas under one project in order to minimize the time the services are disrupted for. The aim is also to speed up tram services.
Changes to tram services up to September 2021 are listed below. There will also be minor changes to bus routes 51 and 70, which run along Helsinginkatu. Detailed information about traffic arrangements will be provided later. The service changes will be updated in the Journey Planner about four weeks before the changes take effect.
Changes by route 17 May to 11 July
At first, the works will affect tram services at the junction of Kaarlenkatu and Helsinginkatu. There will be no direct tram connection from the Opera to Sörnäinen and Kallio and Aleksis Kiven katu will not be served.
Changes by route:
- Tram 1 will run from Hattulantie to Urheilutalo via Sturenkatu. The section of route from Mäkelänkatu via Sörnäinen to Urheilutalo will not be served.
- Tram 8 will run from St. Paul’s Church to Urheilukatu via Sturenkatu. The section of route from Hämeentie via Sörnäinen to Helsinginkatu will not be served.
Passengers going in the direction of Töölö and the Opera can take bus 502 to Töölö Sports Hall and to Meilahti.
- Tram 3 will run from Ylioppilastalo via the Opera to Urheilutalo. The section of route from Ylioppilastalo via Hakaniemi to Urheilutalo will not be served. From Hakaniemi, bus 51 goes to Kallio and bus 23 to Alppiharju.
- Tram 9 will run from Hakaniemi to Toinen linja. Kallio, Alppila and Pasila will not be served. Trunk routes 500 and 510, which run along Aleksis Kiven katu, provide alternative service from Pasila.
Changes by route 12 July to 29 August
From July, the works will affect westbound traffic on Helsinginkatu from Urheilutalo. There will be no tram services between the Opera and Kaarlenkatu nor between Urheilutalo and Eläintarha. Trams 1, 3 and 8 will not run their normal routes and services on Helsinginkatu will be replaced by bus 8X. Tram 9 will resume its normal route.
Changes by route:
- Tram 1 will run from Helsinginkatu via Kallio, Hakaniemi and the Central Railway Station to Ylioppilastalo. The section of route from Urheilutalo via Töölö to Lasipalatsi will not be served.
- Tram 3 will run from Hakaniemi to Toinen linja. The section of route from Hakaniemi via Kallio and Alppila to Meilahti will not be served.
- Tram 8 will run from the Opera to Kuusitie along Mannerheimintie. Bus 8X will replace the tram between the Opera and Arabia. The bus will run from the Opera via Sörnäinen to Arabianranta.
In addition, alternative service will be provided by bus 23 from Pasila to Alppiharju as well as tram 9 and trunk routes 500 and 510, which run along Aleksis Kiven katu.
Changes by route from 30 August (approximately until the end of September)
In September, works will be carried out between Urheilutalo and Mannerheimintie, affecting trams 1 and 8. Tram 3 will resume its normal route.
Changes by route:
- Tram 1 will continue to be diverted via the Central Railway Station, Hakaniemi and Kallio.
- Tram 8 will run as usual between Jätkäsaari and the Opera. Replacement bus 8X, Opera – Sörnäinen – Arabianranta, will continue to run.
The diversions are expected to remain in place until the end of September 2021.