Major changes to Main Line and Ring Rail Line train services from 2 May 2023
There will be changes to K, I and P train services as well as to D, R and Z train services from Tuesday 2 May. The trains will operate a reduced service on the sections of the lines between Kerava via Tikkurila to Helsinki and from Helsinki Airport via Tikkurila to Helsinki. There will also be changes to the timetables of buses serving stations.
There will be major changes to K, I and P train services as well as to D and R train services from 2 May due to track works. In addition, there will changes to departure platforms at Tikkurila station, and buses will replace trains between Ainola and Järvenpää stations.
K, I and P trains (HSL commuter train services)
The changes to K, I and P train services will take effect on Tuesday 2 May and remain in place until Sunday 22 October 2023. The trains will operate a reduced service on the sections of the lines between Kerava via Tikkurila to Helsinki and from Helsinki Airport via Tikkurila to Helsinki. Detailed timetables are already available in the Journey Planner at hsl.fi and on the HSL app.
K trains (Helsinki–Tikkurila–Kerava)
- K trains will operate a reduced service running every 20 minutes. In addition, the journey time will increase by 2–3 minutes.
I and P trains (trains serving Helsinki Airport)
- I and P trains will operate a reduced service running every 20 minutes. In addition, the journey times will increase by 2–6 minutes.
- Additional I and P trains will run every 20 minutes between Helsinki, Huopalahti, Myyrmäki and Helsinki Airport Monday to Friday about 5am–10pm and on Saturdays about 9am–10pm. These additional trains will turn back at the airport and they will not stop at Vehkala station.
- I and P trains will run normally between Helsinki Airport, Myyrmäki and Helsinki on weekdays but between Helsinki Airport, Tikkurila and Helsinki, only half of the usual trains will operate.
Changes to the timetables of buses serving train stations
Due to the changes to train timetables, there will also be changes to the timetables of buses serving train stations between Myyrmäki, Helsinki Airport and Tikkurila and stations between Tikkurila and Kerava from Tuesday 2 May.
The timetables for Tuusula bus routes 641, 642, 665, 961, Kerava bus routes 972, 973, 976, 978, and Vantaa bus routes 311, 335B, 400, 431, 571, 574, 583, 584, 587, 624, 631, 721, 731, 734, 735, 736 and 739 will be updated to align with the commuter train timetables. These timetables are also available in the Journey Planner.
The changes are due to track work at Tikkurila station
Once the works carried out by the Finnish Transport Infrastructure Agency are completed at Tikkurila station, there will be four tracks for long-distance trains and for commuter trains to Riihimäki and Lahti instead of the existing three platform tracks. The works will mainly be carried out between May and October. During the works, two platforms will be closed at a time and trains will run at a reduced speed in the area. Consequently, the number of trains running via Tikkurila needs to be reduced.
D, R and Z trains (VR commuter trains)
The first changes to D, R and Z train services will take effect on Friday 28 April 2023. The changes will affect train journeys in the HSL area, in particular between Kerava and Jokela.
- D trains will be cancelled between 2 May and 12 May.
- The 7.30am R train from Riiimäki will be cancelled on weekdays between 2 May and 12 May.
- The 4.30pm R train from Helsinki will be cancelled on weekdays between 28 April and 12 May.
- D trains will be cancelled between 19 June and 9 December. R trains will run to Hämeenlinna at corresponding times to replace the D train services.
- There will be fewer R train services than usual at peak times between 19 June and 9 December.
- There will also be changes to Z train and some R train departure times from Helsinki, Lahti, Riihimäki and Kouvola.
See VR’s website for detailed timetables and more information.
Ainola station to be closed between 19 June and 9 December - replacement buses operating
One track will be closed between Kytömaa and Ainola between 19 June and 9 December. Ainola station will not be served during this time. Replacement buses will run between Ainola and Järvenpää stations. More information about the replacement buses is available on VR’s website.
The changes are part of a larger project
The works at Tikkurila station and the construction of the additional track between Kytömaa and Ainola are part of a project to increase the rail capacity between Helsinki and Riihimäki. The aim of the project is to increase the capacity of the busiest section of railway in Finland and to reduce the line’s vulnerability to disruptions.