Who is entitled to the student discount?
Full-time students living in the HSL area can purchase reduced rate Travel Card tickets (discount group 2) under certain conditions.
The discount is applicable to regional season and value tickets as well as internal season and value tickets. The discount is 50 per cent.
The discount entitlement is stored on the Travel Card at a service point when the card is purchased. The discount entitlement must be renewed annually.
Students who meet the following criteria are entitled to the student discount:
- The student lives permanently in the HSL area.
- The student is studying in a Finnish comprehensive school, upper secondary high school, folk high school, vocational school, university of applied sciences or university.
- The student is studying on a full-time basis with at least 25 study hours per week, or in multimodal learning at least 60% of the total study time must be contact teaching. Alternatively, the student is taking their secondary school certificate and matriculation examination.
- Under normal circumstances the studies lead to a qualification or degree (exception: students studying in liberal adult education programs in folk high schools).
- The studies are estimated to take at least one school/academic year. The school/academic year must be at least 8 months, for example from September to May.
- The student is over 17 years of age.
- All students aged 30 years or over and those studying in liberal adult education programs in folk high schools must prove that either Kela or the provincial government of Åland has granted them student allowance or rehabilitation subsidy (accepted forms of student allowance are study grants and/or government guarantees for student loans).
Discount is not granted to:
- Postgraduate students of universities studying for a licentiate's or doctor's degree. The degree of Licentiate in Medicine is a basic university degree, and medical students are thus entitled to the discount.
- Students over 30 years of age whose financial aid consists only of a housing supplement or who receive other financial aid than student allowance or rehabilitation subsidy from Kela (for example, job alternation compensation, training subsidy, training allowance or adult education allowance granted by the Education Fund).
- Students in apprenticeship training.
You need the following documents to get a student Travel Card:
- Card user’s official identification document (an official identity card, passport, driver’s license, Kela card with a photograph).
- Discount ticket application form bearing the stamp and signature of the educational institution dated no more than three months before the date of application
A valid blue SYL student card, a blue SAMOK student card, a OSKU ry student card, or The Union of Finnish Upper Secondary School Students card with a current term sticker on it.
- Students over 30 years of age as well as students taking liberal adult education general courses in folk high schools have to present a certificate of receiving a study grant, student loan or rehabilitation subsidy.
You can also authorize another person to update your Travel Card. The person you authorize must have with them your Travel Card and the documents mentioned above excluding the official identification document.
Scanned and copied application forms and/or certificates of receiving a study grant, student loan or rehabilitation subsidy, or forms/certificates stored on smart phones or tablets are not accepted. Applications completed in pencil will not be accepted.
Validity and renewal of the discount entitlement
You can buy reduced fare tickets as long as your discount entitlement is valid. The discount entitlement must be valid as long as the season ticket. For example, if your discount entitlement expires in 15 days, you can load a season ticket for maximum 15 days.
The discount entitlement has to be renewed annually at a Travel Card service point or at a temporary service point at your university.
If your studies last for an entire school year (autumn and spring terms) or if you finish your studies at the end of the spring term, the discount entitlement is valid until the end of August. If you finish your studies at the end of the autumn term, the discount entitlement is valid until the end of January next year. If you have discount ticket application, the discount entitlement is valid until the date of the completion of studies given in the discount application form.
For students over 30 years of age and students taking liberal adult education general courses in folk high schools, the validity of the discount entitlement depends also on their study allowance or rehabilitation subsidy.
Foreign exchange students
Also foreign exchange students who reside temporarily in the validity area of HSL's regional tickets are entitled to the student discount if they meet the following criteria. Exchange students may also be Finnish nationals or foreign nationals with a Finnish ID number. If the educational institution at which the student is registered for a degree is located abroad and the student is in Finland to take studies related to those studies as an exchange student, the student is entitled to a discount ticket.
Exchange students who are
• 17–29 years of age and meet the following criteria are entitled to a personal Travel Card with a student discount,
• over 30 years of age and meet the following criteria are entitled to a personal Travel Card for adults,
• under 17 years of age and meet the following criteria are entitled to a personal Travel Card for children:
•The student lives temporarily (under two years) in the validity area of HSL’s regional tickets (Helsinki, Espoo, Kauniainen, Vantaa, Kerava, Kirkkonummi or Sipoo). There is no minimum time limit for the temporary residence. No certificate of domicile from the local register office is needed.
•The student is studying in a comprehensive school, high school, folk high school, vocational education institution, polytechnic, university or other institution of higher education located in the validity area of HSL’s regional tickets.
• The student is studying on a full-time basis (at least 25 hours/week) and the studies lead to a qualification or degree in the student’s home country.
Postgraduate exchange students at universities and higher education institutions (studying for a licentiate’s or doctor’s degree) are not entitled to student discount. The degree of Licentiate in Medicine is a basic university degree, and medical students are thus entitled to the student discount. Trainees are not eligible for the discouunt.
Exchange students may purchase season and value tickets for a reduced price. The discount entitlement is valid for the duration of the studies stated overleaf, however, for a maximum period of one year. If the studies continue, the discount entitlement has to be renewed at a service point. If the student does not renew the discount entitlement, they can load their Travel Cards with adult tickets / general season tickets.
You need the following documents to get or to renew a student Travel Card:
• An official ID with a photograph (an official identity card, passport or European driving licence).
• Travel Card application bearing the stamp and signature of the educational institution (see the reverse side).